Thursday, April 8, 2010

MadriGLEEK and Pantaloons

GLEE! is coming!  GLEE! is coming!
I am not your fair-weathered lover of high school singing and dancing groups.  Oh no! I was there.  I did it.  I was a total choir nerd.  I was a singing, dancing geek.  So Glee is a blast from the past for me.  And we had em' all.
*The overachiever who flipped when she didn't get the lead in the yearly musical.
*The football player
*The preppy "cheerleader" girls who gave you hell (minus the cheerleading skirts)
*And they totally fashionable gay kid- (a little less Helmut and a lot more Ambercrombie)
I loved it.  Every minute.  I lived and breathed it.  I'd go back and do it all over again.
Total geek.
The school year started out right away with Madrigal auditions, those selected learned the fine art of medieval bell ringing and Christmas caroling.  The girls wore long dresses and fancy head pieces with scarves cascading down the back of our heads.  The boys wore hats with plumes, pantaloons and tights, and yes the football players wore tights.
We started off with the lovely six am practices.  We had after school practices.  We sang Christmas carols in August.  We sang Christmas carols before the sun came up.  We sang Christmas carols as the sun went down.  Hell I was singing Christmas carols in my sleep.
All this in preparation for traveling around Oshkosh singing and preforming for nursing homes, The Kiwanis Christmas luncheon, the local art center and the sprinkles on the Christmas caroling hot chocolate from Annie's cafe, the local movie theater.
After the madrigal season we were pushed right into the musical season which is where all the ball-changes and jazz hands come in, which is a whole other blog post.
There was no show choir, no GLEE club, but it was fun none the less. 
So I am now dubbing myself a MadirGleek because one day all the gleeks will inherit the earth and we will make sweet sweet music as we do it!

1 comment:

Thanks for your comments- they are like pennies from heaven.