Thursday, March 22, 2012

it's the love: three semi-related random thoughts of motherhood

1 .I at one time held the delusion that motherhood would not change me.  Motherhood has changed me.  I held that delusion when I wasn't a mother.  I was probably just with child.  Before the morning sickness and the leg cramp and the baby crying at 3 am and me crying at 3 am.  My sister, a new mom, told me the other day "I didn't know it would be this hard!"  And I said "You are a real mom now!"  Because that is the delusion we hold, that it won't be that hard.  We can be a mom and do all the non-mom stuff that we did before we became moms.  All the preconceived notions fall right out the window.  They don't exist anymore.
 
2. This one time I was a non-mom and sitting with a mom sharing a fine meal and she was talking about baby poop and I was all like "What the hells lady I'm trying to eat here I don't need to hear about your baby's shit!"  And now that I am a mom I'd be all like "What the hells lady I'm trying to eat here I don't need to hear about your baby's shit!"  I hold no delusions about my weak stomach and hearing about shit when I am eating.  That is never okay.

3. I told my sister, a new mom, we never realize how hard being a mother is going to be.  Or how much motherhood is going to changes us.  But we also never realize the amount of love we can have  for our child.  How that love oozes out of our pores it is so overflowing.  That's what changes us moms the most, not the late nights and the talking about poo.  It's the love.  You can never prepare yourself for that.  And you probably shouldn't.    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments- they are like pennies from heaven.