Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Back Porch Reading- Guilty Pleasures Edition

A dirty book is rarely dusty.  ~Author Unknown


I 'have to' read The Great Gatsby  for my book club.  Not a chore but a book I'd probably pass up on the shelf of the Kindle store.  Let's face it, for most of us, if they made you read it in high school you probably pass it up as an adult.  In saying this I know I am giving my many family members who taught/teach high school English hives.  I am sorry guys/gals reading for pleasure is so much better than reading by force.


Not saying I hate reading fine literature.  I love a great substantial novel.   Some of my all-time favorite books include Of Mice and Men  and To Kill a Mockingbird.  
But sometimes a girl has got to let her hair down and have a little fun.


Enter guilty pleasure reading.  And when I say this in NO way do I feel guilty about reading any of these books.  I proudly admit to loving these books and the authors who write them.

One of my favorite (not at all) guilty pleasure authors is Marie Force
Fatal Consequences 
 ****-4 star read

I received an advance copy of Marie Force's new book Fatal Consequences, the third in Marie's Fatal series. Giving you a little background on the Fatal Series, Maire felt a challenge to make a romance series using the same couple.  This challenge based on the unspoken rule that you can't use the same couple in a romance series.  Because you know once you fall in love the story is over....


I am glad Marie tackled this challenge, because lets face it love isn't all tea and spontaneous sex scenes in obscure places.  I for one will never believe that sex up against a tree is really that sexy.  Bark up your ass, not pretty.

Back to Fatal Consequences.  Our heroine Sam Holland,  lead investigator for the Washington DC police, finds herself in the middle of another high-profile murder case.  A woman is found murdered and the victim's connection to a U.S Senator leads Sam to investigate one of her fiancce's,  Senator Nick Cappuano, closest allies.  As the investigation starts to unravel a dark secret housed in the hall of the senate threatens to ruin some high-profile political careers and puts Sam in great danger.

In the middle of the investigation Sam's past comes back to haunt her, threatening her relationship with Nick.  Although Sam and Nick's relationship problems are extreme, the underlying issues of honesty and understanding in a relationship is something anyone can relate to.

I'd say Marie is very successful with her self-imposed challenge.  I have read all the Fatal series and Fatal Consequences is the perfect continuation of  Sam and Nick's love story.

You have another two weeks till Fatal Consequences comes out, July 18, giving you plenty of time to read Fatal Affair and Fatal Justice.   I promise you will be hooked from the first word.  Be warned there are some hot and heavy sex scenes,  none take place anywhere near trees.


Read all about the Fatal series at Marie Force's official website.

If you need a few more pleasure books, that will make you feel anything but guilty, check out: 
Falling for You by Julie Ortolon
Romantically Challenged by Beth Orsoff
Staying at Daisy's by Jill Mansell
A Taste of Magic by Tracy Madison
Love at First Flight by Marie Force

This week I am reading:
Eyewall 
Eyewall by H.W. "Buzz" Bernard


and will be tackling 


 The Great Gatsby
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald...you know because I 'have to'.

Disclosure: I received an advance copy of Fatal Consequences from Carina Press.  I was not compensated to write this review or was asked to give a favorable review.  The opinions are my own. 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much Susan! Love that review, and LOL on the tree vs ass scenario. One word: OUCH! Sam would never go for that and if she did find herself in that predicament, she'd turn the tides so it was Nick's rump on the bark. :-)

    Thanks so much for reading!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments- they are like pennies from heaven.