Semi-Sweet by Roisin Meaney
Release date: April 25, 2011
Rating: 4 1/2 stars
Just in time for that self-induced sugar Peep coma you will so wonderfully enjoy this Easter Holiday I bring you more sweet sweet goodness. No worries this little treat will not add those dreaded "L.B.s." It's a book. A good, super sweet book. But not super syrupy sweet. It's a subtle sweet. Like a nice little sea-salt caramel truffle. Sweet and salty melt in you mouth goodness...mmmm sea salt caramel.*
Top 5 reasons why I love this book:
5. The little sugary sweet stories that were sprinkled throughout the book. As much as the main character's story was important, so too were the supporting cast of characters. Every character played a role in the story and in a way each person's actions directly effected the next character. The author did a great job pulling you into everyone's story and weaving all the characters' story together.
4. CUPCAKES. Keep a few on hand while reading this book. Okay, you might add a few pounds, but it's all in good fun.
3. You will stand and cheer for the main character, Hannah. It's a perfect boy leaves girl, girl kicks boy's arse in game of life kinda story. I love when girl kicks arse.
Hannah didn't really kick guys arse, but she did overcome a HORRIBLE break-up while starting her own business.
See kick arse.
2. It takes place in Ireland. I love stories that take place in Ireland, they make me feel all happy and stuff, and Irish people love to say arse. Thank you Frank McCourt for introducing me to that wondrous word.
1. CUPCAKES. Oh dear lord the diet starts tomorrow.
Funny thing about cupcakes, they go right to my arse. Sorry, it couldn't be helped....
You can go to the author's website to find out more information on Semi-Sweet and her other books. Pre-order at Amazon here.
*If you would like more information on sea-salt caramel truffles go here.
Summary from Amazon.com:Hannah Robinson is just about to open the doors to her new shop Cupcakes on the Corner when out of the blue her boyfriend Patrick announces that he's leaving her for another woman. Faced with starting a business on her own, Hannah begins to wonder if her life-long dream has just turned into a nightmare. So her best friend Adam sets his birthday as a deadline - seven months to make her shop a success, or walk away from it all. And as Hannah immerses herself in her new business, she soon discovers that she's too busy to think about Patrick and his now pregnant girlfriend ...or to notice an increasingly regular customer who has recently developed a sweet tooth for all things cupcake. But while Hannah is slowly piecing her life back together, family friend Alice's is falling apart. Her husband Tom's drinking is getting out of control and things are about to get a whole lot worse. As the seven-month milestone approaches, Hannah must decide her future. And while she's figuring out what's really important, it becomes clear to everyone that happiness in life, and in love, is all in the making.