Friday, January 1, 2010

Time-out

I was considering starting a fan page on Facebook called "I put my kid in time-out and then I forgot I put them there." Our house is in a perpetual state of time-out, a curious three year and the most head strong six year old means I am always sending someone to their room. I enjoy the silence too much, I make dinner, clean the toilets, do laundry, go on twitter and the minutes tick by quickly. Slowly the kids venture down to see if I forgot what caused me to calmly send them to bed.
Time-outs serve their mommy purpose, I get a few minutes to go back to one. The kids get a few minutes to think about what they did. I figure it's better then whopping them to a inch of their lives, or beating them till they look pretty, or just beatin' their ass, all which my dad affectionately told all seven of his children- which he hardly did, he was mostly bark and little bite.
Don't get me wrong I got it, he gave it out, but if he did it as much as he threatened I'd probably be writing this blog from a a strip club or prison, because lets face it nothing fucks up a girl more then a daddy issues
I digress.
Time-outs are here to stay. When the tempers rise I have my go-to-place for the kids. A few minutes to get over ourselves, to think about what really matters and most importantly a few minutes to come up with a better solution to the problem at hand.
Now I am going for my time-out, I just got a gift card to a local coffee house for Christmas- HEY a mommy need a time-out sometimes too.

2 comments:

  1. I totally hear where you're coming from. Heck, my kids are 19, 20, and 22, so now....I put MYSELF in time out! Because I want PEACE!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do that all the time. I cannot tell you how often I forget about a kid in timeout. I'll get wrapped up in my chores or the computer and then hear a little plaintive voice asking, "Mommy, can I come out now?"

    Always makes me feel just a little sheepish.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments- they are like pennies from heaven.