Saturday, September 17, 2011

quote

Quotes can be totally awesome and equally annoying.  I ride the line on posting quotes.  Because sometimes you want to give inspiration the middle finger.  "Yeah, well fuck you and your ideas and making me feel guilty for wanting to sit around all day and watch this Project Runway marathon!" 
Two of my favorite quotaters are actually children writers.  Because sometimes the simple resonate more with me.   Simple is truth.  Words get used too much.  They become something less when you try too hard.
I try too hard a lot.
AA Milnes tops my list.  I see a quote and think 'WOO who wrote that?  I die from that inspiration.' And it is almost always AA Milnes.  And then I think about how much Mr. Milnes wants bitch-slap Walt Disney for putting a red shirt on Winnie the Pooh.  Because all the other characters are sans clothing, why was it important to put clothes on the bear??
Sometimes when I feel something I love to listen to 'Disobedience' and I think how cool to write about a child taking care of his mother.  Because it happens a lot.  Kids taking care of their parents.  It's poetic.  And sad.  Poetically sad.

Theodor Seuss Geisel aka Dr. Seuss is my other favorite quoter.  I read him and then think how much would he love to kick Mike Myer's ass?   Because that Cat in the Hat was bad.  Equal to spitting on Mr. Geisel's grave.
And then I think how awesome Dr. Suess was to make children's books about war and environmentalism and consumerism and Hitler.  I love to go back and re-read his books as an adult, they say so much.  And it is all simple, so simple.  And the words aren't big.  I don't have to refer to a dictionary or feel less than.  Because words mean so much when you understand them.
Words are beautiful creatures.  They have this way of combining and mutating to be something more than just a single thing.  Words are righteous. 
“Sometimes,' said Pooh, 'the smallest things take up the most room in your heart.”
A.A. Milne
“We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”
Dr. Seuss

Beautiful

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree! I love both writers. Actually, it has amazed me how deep Dr. Seuss's books are. I never realized when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments- they are like pennies from heaven.