Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Day Six: All Over the Place

So much today:
I stopped Other People's Children to dive into Between the World and Me; it's a library thing that made me adjust.
I paused to listen to This American Life today; a pleasure activity for me.  I saw connections.  The connecting is a good feeling.

In Other People's Children, Ms. Delpit share her experience with Indigenous People of Alaska. This American Life was a story of a First Nation women searching for missing First Nation men and women.   Missing and no one was paying attention.  Caught between lands and jurisdictions.  Afraid to speak up for fear of being looked down on.  Seen for the prejudices put upon them.

I listened Malcolm Jamal Warner speak of being uncomfortable. It's the only way the real work is going to get done! The probability and possibility of losing friends.  The consequence of changing self is that.  This is a self-discovery.  A newness.  Not everyone will want to embrace this new part of you.  I needed to hear that now.  Accept it so it doesn't slap me in the face later.  

Talked with a group of parents; parents raising Young Brown/Black boys and girls.  In a group and in a 1:1.  My anxiety was overwhelming in the 1:1.  So many questions!   It was a good thing.  I can't second-guess what I say.  Tell me I am not right with my words and actions and I need to reflect.  Change.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments- they are like pennies from heaven.